Once again, the UK’s meat industry elite has been honoured at the year’s most prestigious ceremony. The 2017 Meat Management Industry Awards have drawn to a close, with 20 outstanding suppliers, producers and retailers walking away with highly-coveted accolades.
Entertainment was provided by stand-up comedian and performer Miles Jupp, who created exactly the kind of atmosphere this enjoyable evening has become famous for. A prestigious black-tie Awards Dinner was held at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole on June 28th, providing competitors with the rare opportunity to network in such a focused industry event. More than 400 people attended, cementing the 2017 awards as the most successful to date.
Iceland romped home with the prestigious title of Supermarket/Multiple Meat Retailer of the Year, while Faccenda Foods Ltd. scooped up the gong for Manufacturer of the Year. Simpsons Butchers of Heckington was officially named Britain’s Best Butcher’s Shop, while Julien Pursglove, Institute of Meat (IoM) accredited Master Butcher for Sainsbury’s, was handed the most coveted prize of all – the Excellence Award – at the end of the evening’s festivities.
The latter award is only presented to those who are considered to have made an outstanding contribution to the industry – Julien Pursglove being more than worthy of the honour.
“I am highly delighted and honoured to have been nominated and to have won this prestigious accolade,” Julien said.
“Especially as this year I celebrate 40 years in the meat industry, which also co-insides with my year in office as the BDCI Festival Chairman. I would like to thank all those involved in my nomination, and in particular Meat Management.”
Miles Jupp took charge of hosting the event and presented the trophies and certificates to their worthy recipients throughout the evening. Below you’ll find a full rundown of the proud winners from the evening:
- The Excellence Award: Julien Pursglove – Sainsbury’s
- Best Red Meat Product: ASDA Extra Special Slow-Cooked West Country Beef Rib with a Teriyaki Glaze – Dawn Meats
- Best Lamb Product: Co-op Quick Roast Sea Salt & Black Pepper Lamb Joint – Dunbia
- Best Beef Product: ASDA Extra Special Slow-Cooked West Country Beef Rib with a Teriyaki Glaze – Dawn Meats
- Best Poultry Product: Ocado Chicken Crown with Garlic & Rosemary – Moy Park
- Best Free From Product: Premium Steak Burger – Simon Howie Foods
- Best Bacon Product: Ocado Gold 16 Smoked Streaky Bacon Rashers Dry Cured – Tulip Ltd
- Britain’s Best Meat Pie: Marks & Spencer Chicken and Bacon Pie – Yorkshire Baker
- Britain’s Best Burger: ASDA Extra Special 2 Wagyu Beef Burgers – ABP
- Britain’s Best Sausage: Waitrose Pork Sausages with Bramley Apple – Walkers Sausage Co
- Supermarket / Multiple Meat Retailer of the Year: Iceland
- Britain’s Best Butchers Shop: Simpsons Butchers, Heckington
- Young Manager of the Year: Gerard Kennedy – Dawn Meats
- Training Scheme of the Year: Cranswick: Management Development Programme
- Best Equipment / Machinery Supplier: Interfood Technology Ltd
- Best Online Business www.porkywhites.co.uk
- Best Trade Organisation: Association of Independent Meat Suppliers (AIMS)
- The Catering Butcher Award: Owen Taylor & Sons Ltd
We’d be lying if we said we haven’t already got an appetite for next year’s show – bring on the 2018 Meat Management Industry Awards!